If you have ever asked yourself what would would a Prius look like if it were a bike instead of a car? The Prius inspired bike of the future would be the answer.
The final design, just revealed on John Watson’s cycling/design site, incorporates a built-in EEG dry sensor array in the helmet that allows you to shift gear with your mind. After some initial training which ties your mind to the shifting system, the “thought sensitive” helmet picks up your brain waves and transmits them to the bicycle’s brain-contolled electronic “neurotransmission:”
From your initial training you will be able concentrate on two particular thoughts, one to shift up and one to shift down. It is these thoughts combined with the “neurotransmission” and experimental iPhone app, that together cause the digital shifter to change gear.
This design concept is now in the prototype stage, but from the looks of the video below, it’s well on its way to a high-end bike shop near you soon.
The Prius X Parlee is sponsored by bikemaker Parlee and Toyota as part of its Prius Projects program.
- Bicycle Of The Future Shifts Gears Via Brain Waves [VIDEO] (mashable.com)
- Toyota Prius Bicycle (Concept By Parlee) (chefsnews.wordpress.com)
- Toyota Demos new Road bicycle that reads your mind… (talkingsticktech.wordpress.com)
- Toyota Prius Project Parlee: Bike with gears you can change by using your mind (dailymail.co.uk)
- Brains-On: Wired.com Rides the Thought-Controlled Prius Bike (wired.com)
- Prius Project concept bike lets you shift by thinking (news.cnet.com)
- This Bike Will Read Your Mind (bodandbeyond.com)
- Toyota’s Prius Bike With Thought-Controlled Gear Shifters (wired.com)
- Prius Project bicycle can change gears with just a thought (geek.com)